Quebec City office : 418 651-9900
F : 418 651-5184
Montreal office : 514 845-3533
F : 514 845-9522
Bachelor of Law from Université Laval
Member of the Barreau du Québec (1989)
- Areas of expertise
↓ See more
- Grievance arbitration
- Psychological harassment
- Negotiation of Collective Agreement
- Individual and Collective Labor Contracts
- Access to information and privacy protection
- Class action
- Human Rights and Freedom
- School taxes
- Contractual and Non-contractual Liability
- Construction Bond
- Litigation, Deficiencies and Defects
- Construction Contract Claims (additional work, extras, site extension, unforeseen site conditions and impact costs)
- Professional Liability of Engineers and Architects
- Latent Defects
- Municipal Taxes
- Municipal litigation
- International Agreements
- Commercial Trade
- Property Law
- Injunction, seizure and extraordinary recourse
- Civil and Professional Liability
- Management consultancy and Protection of Intellectual property rights
- Contracts (negotiation, drafting, interpretation, etc.)
- Advisor in Organizational and Management matters
- Call for tenders and procurement
- Human Rights
- Intellectual Property
In addition to being a partner, Bernard Jacob is a member of the firm’s Board of Directors and responsible for the labour and educational law sectors of the firm. Having started his career in 1989 at the Fédération des commissions scolaires, he has practised almost exclusively in education law since that time. He has extensive experience in education, administrative and constitutional law.
Thereafter, Bernard Jacob turned towards private practice where he had the opportunity to represent his clients in various disciplines of law, including administrative and labour law. In the past years, he has developed a specific expertise in class-action suits in matters dealing with excess cost of public transit passes, taking Ritalin, services offered to students with dyslexia and fees charged to parents.
His versatility and knowledge of the intrinsic needs of his clientèle make him a sought-after litigant. His clientèle appreciates his openness and dedication in the search of practical solutions to the problems they face.
Over the past years, he has represented Quebec School Boards in several major cases, relating to the establishment of linguistic School Boards as referred to in the Education Act or challenges to school closures.
On numerous occasions, Bernard Jacob has represented the School Boards before the Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse, the Tribunal des droits de la personne and the Superior Courts.
He follows the Protocol of the Fédération des commissions scolaires du Québec with respect to grievances and is part of the advisory team called upon by the school boards on the tender process.
While being involved with the school boards on behalf of his clients, he has developed valuable expertise with the municipal partners of his clients. As a result, he was chosen as the main attorney by the local authorities to implement the fiber optic networks’ « Village branché » program.
Bernard Jacob is regularly invited to give lectures to professional associations.
Social and Professionnal activities
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Association canadienne de l’éducation (ACE), an organization promoting research in the education sector and whose head office is in Toronto
- Member of the Arbitration Committee on the Agreement of Internal Trade within Canada.
- Lecturer in legal education in the context of the initial training given to non-executive PIDIGECS of the Université de Sherbrooke